Canned or Dry Dog Food? What to feed your dogs

|

I get asked a lot on what kind of food I give to my dogs. My answer varies depending on which dog I have on mind at that particular time. You see, not all my dogs eat the same kind of food due to various reasons, including allergy and difficulty in digesting. I had to observe my dogs everytime I introduce new food or doggie snack. I remember starting them out with cooked food - mix of rice, water, and minced meat. It was a good combination but there was little nutrition and the preparation is taking so much of my time. So, I switched to the canned dog food which the dogs love but it was getting pretty expensive and I found out about the dangers of feeding too much processed canned food. I have to emphasize here that not all canned dog food are bad, you just have to find the one that gives nutritional value to your dog. After the short stint with canned dog food, I switched to Dry Food. There are those that are being sold in supermarkets and those sold exclusively in specialty store. It turns out this is the best match for my dogs, albeit two of my dogs are on different diet plan.

I am rather partial to the dry food sold in pet shops because they have a more balanced mix of ingredients. This means that every batch has uniform content, which ensures that the nutritional value is not lost. Unlike in the commercial version, where there is a big possibility that the mix of ingredients can be erratic since makers only make use of the available raw materials at a particular time. In that aspect, the nutritional intake can fluctuate. Those sold in pet shops and specialty shops can be a little more expensive but it can be worth it.

My dogs are on dry food diet, but they also get home-cooked meals once a week. It's a treat that they look forward to each week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment